Saturday, August 9, 2008

What are your favorite Olympic Events?

Pierre de Coubertin would be very proud of the festivities that took place on Friday, August, 8, 2008 in Beijing, China. Coubertin, considered the father of the Modern Olympics games, would have also been in awe of the opening ceremonies.

What a beautiful mix of modern and historic blend of culture, art, music and a display of raw people power. According to the announcers over 15,000 performers participated in the event. It was very impressive.

It was interesting to see the world leaders in the stadium come together to watch the opening of a 16 day festival featuring sport. My kids and I enjoyed watching the stat on the number of athletes from each country and then trying to figure out where the country is on a map.

We are planning to watch. What is your favorite event? What is the most unusual event to you?
China is the center of World attention. Let’s see. One World, one dream.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the Olympics - am enjoying every bit of it I can see. In Oz, they focus on Australian athletes like the focus on American athletes in the States. So the only chance I get to see my fellow countrymen is when they're competing against an Aussie. Still good fun!

Rhonda said...

We love the Olympics too and have made time to catch women's swimming and women's gymnastics.

We will compare notes when we get home.

Jennifer (mom of four) said...

I love swimming, volleyball , cycling, and diving.

Well, really I love them all. I get sucked into the TV whenever the Olympics are on and can't seem to turn it off whatever sport is on.