Saturday, January 19, 2008

Friday Night at the Movies - Pillow Talk

I don't know how I have survived this long in life without seeing the 1959 movie Classic - Pillow Talk with Rock Hudson and Doris Day. Lieber recorded the movie when it ran in the middle of the night. So, we decided to watch the movie this evening. It was actually pretty funny.
Tony Randal did a nice job as the best friend in the movie. I also thought it was interesting to see how people dressed in the movies and talked with each other. My how things have changed in 50 years.

I couldn't help chuckling when there were jokes in the movie about he potential sexuality of Rock Hudson's character, Rex Stetson or Brad Allen. They were very subtle.

Doris Day was something else. She was, in the words of my seven year old, a sharp looking lady.

My kids watch the show and were enamored by the formal dresses, the fine restaurants, the big cars, and the rotary dial telephone. We even tried to explain the concept of the party line. You wouldn't have thought I didn't understand the value of a Nintendo DS the way my son looked at me during that discussion. Almost like I was speaking a foreign language.

Imagine a movie where no one was killed. The language wasn't objectionable, and the worst thing in the movie was the characters smoke and drank. The smoking and drinking was pointed out as a unhealthy life style.

If you haven't seen it rent it or find it on a movie channel near you. It is corny and predictable but worth the 105 minutes of comedy.

No comments: